Tuesday, January 20, 2009

OGL camp has been great. And great in so many ways. Truthfully speaking, I do not like attending camps. I never liked leaving the comfort of my bed at home, or sharing a stink crap toilet with at least a few hundred other campers ( trust me, it stinks!) But it is also in camps that some of my most precious memories happen. It is in camps that we are able to catch a glismpse of the human kind- that is to understand its flaws and celebrate in its goodness. It is through the camp experience that the individual benefits from in terms of memories and understanding.

One of the most fondest things in the camp is the bond that I had forged with my fellow council members. The times shared with them eating, sleeping in the same bunk and slacking on stage watching the OGLs cheer is something that will always remain nolstagic. Ms Lee said during the camp: to wake up in the morning and see your friends in their most untidy state is really true bondedness. I feel that such moments are magical. Even as life returns to breakneck speed after the camp, such bonds and memories serve as an anchor to the ship, or as roots of a tree. When the storms of life comes crashing, one can always find identity and renewed strength in them.

It is also in camps that one is able to see the true colours of others. Having to live with someone 24/7 means that the true nature of a person will always be exposed. In times of difficulty some will perservere for a breakthrough while others may give up along the way. That is why camps also test the true character of the individual. Even so, values aquired during the camp will never be lost. Camps are learning journeys, not an act of judgement.

I look forward to orientation 2009- Avian Rennaissence. And yes, I will endure the smelly toilets.

I pray that my relationship with God will be even closer.

Chows,
Jethro

No comments: