Sunday, December 14, 2008

Liberty of the mend

Its been a few days since I last blogged. I don't really know what kind of posts should I type. Should I type simple recounts of my life and thoughts, or should I give deeper insights and format it properly. Well, whatever. Today's posts is the latter. Btw, I still do miss ACT-celerate camp alot. Fanning the flame now!

Many of us have ideals and principles. One of them is liberty and freedom, the right to free will. Yes, it is the great American dream. Think the statue of liberty or the stripes of red, white and blue. Freedom can be many things, as it itself is hard to define. Perhaps for most of my readers, who are teenagers, freedom is being able to stay out late, hang out with friends and do 'freedom' things. Sad to say, this is a very superficial form of freedom. (please don't get me wrong, it is still a valid opinion) It deals only with physical boundaries. Every of this actions and belief is central to the idea of expanding our physical boundaries.

Also, for many of us, our parents and society often put limits on our physical boundary. This often makes us feel restricted, unhappy, confused and fustrated. To us, it seems like they are unreasonable and not understanding. Howver, to they freedom is freedom from danger, harm and threats. Now let me make myself real clear. I do not wish to go into the debate as to which is right and wrong. Yet, we must understand that both ideas of freedom is valid. This leads me to my main point.

Perhaps one of the greatest forms of liberty is the ability to see that differnt people have different opinions of freedom, and to subject yourself to a certain level of tolerance of the other partys ideals.

What does that mean? Simple. It means that

1) You try to understand how the other party thinks.
2) You accept the idealogies even though you know that you don't believe them.

Now that does not mean that you allow youself to be oppressed by others. This tolerate here is of the toleration of the ideals but certainly not cases of oppression.

Ok, I shall just end of now cos I'm really tired. Lol abrupt ending. Thks for reading.

Chows,
Jethro

No comments: